Posted October 15, 2018 06:13:57The Trudeau government is expected to announce Tuesday a plan to give provinces more money to cover the costs of medical expenses for the first time in decades, as it looks to cut the $4.6 billion deficit by the end of the year.
In a statement, the government said it has committed to providing provinces with $1 billion in additional funding to cover costs of medically necessary operations, such as operations for the treatment of cancer, in the first year.
“Our government has committed $1B to assist Canada’s provinces and territories in the delivery of medically essential services,” said a release from Health Minister Jane Philpott.
“This funding will allow provinces to better prepare and maintain the capacity to respond to and treat a variety of health issues, including cancer.”
Philpott also announced that a new fund to help pay for the costs for medically necessary medical care for the poor will be created.
This is the second year in a row that the Liberals have announced $1bn in additional money to help provinces.
In 2016, the Liberals announced $2.2 billion for health care, and in 2017, they announced $3.6bn.
Last year, the Conservatives announced a $2 billion commitment to provide health care for people who are not able to afford it.
Philpot said the Liberal plan will help provinces meet the growing needs of their populations.
“It is a win-win for everyone involved in health care and for the health care system,” she said.
“It’s a win for Canadians.
It’s a big win for Canada.”
With files from the Canadian Press